Put Over 40 Years of Michigan Family Law Experience On Your Side

Enforcing Child Support in Michigan

When you have an order for child support, you have a right to enforce the order. Enforcement of Child Support procedures vary from county to county. 

Typically, it requires filing a show cause motion, at which the time the court will read the petition, determine if there is cause, and where appropriate, the court will set a hearing date at which time the payor will be ordered to appear before the court and explain why he or she has failed to pay, as ordered.

Nonpayment of court-ordered support may lead to a contempt of court citation, resulting in a jail term.  It can also result in the person failing to pay support losing their licensure to practice their profession as well as their driving license. It can result in a hold on their acquiring or using their passport to leave the country. 

The statute of limitations to enforce past due child support is 10 years.

Contact a Metro Detroit Child Support Attorney Today

If you have any questions or concerns regarding enforcement of your current child support, please feel free to contact our Plymouth, MI divorce attorneys at 734- 254-1140.